Thursday, August 25, 2011

Day 99

Well, three smirnoff ices into the day, I decided I had taken a long enough break from poker (I havent been playing for the past few days), so I decided to give 10nl another shot. To compensate for the booze and bad play in recent past, I decided to cut down my usual 6-tabling to only 2. The results?

well...when 6-tabling, I found myself hitting some pretty chaotic swings, and overall losing money at a slow (or sometimes faster) rate. 2-tabling last night, I made 4bi +10$$ bonus for a whopping total of +50$$, with almost no swings whatsoever. The big question here, I guess is why, and I have a bit of an answer to that. It might seem really obvious (and it probably is), but there is a whole shitload of little bits and pieces of information that I lose out on when I multitable. Also, when multitabling, I tend to fall into a pattern, and can suffer from a lack of thinking in my decision making, just relying on a set strategy. Which I guess wouldn't be so bad if I actually had a kickass strategy, but seeing as I am not that level of poker god, it tends not to work out quite so fortunately. Instead, I end up finding myself in spots where I dont really have any reads on my opponents, and so Im left with some % chance that I should call, and in those spots, I tend to overestimate that %, thus leading to Old Faithful-esque spew.

I also suspect a little that people on Cake play worse at night than during the day, but thats just a bit of an aside.

Anyways, my new strategy is going to be to pay REALLY FREAKING CLOSE attention to the tables Im involved with. For now, Im going to stick with 2-tabling (tonight's results are quite reminiscent of my initial stab into 10nl, when I also made 5bi in a single session, 2-tabling), with the possibility of increasing the number of tables up to maybe 4, not dependent on my br, but rather dependent on the limits of my attention. Thus, my new task in improving as a poker player will be practicing attention discipline. That is, if I'm paying attention well at 2 tables and feel like opening a third (or 3-> 4) fine, but when I find that Im not paying as close attention to table action as I should be, I gotta close 1(or more) tables, and just work with that.


gl at the tables, mates.

No comments:

Post a Comment